Friday 28 November 2014

Statement of Intent.

Title of Project.

A Study of Flowers.

Intentions of the Photography to be Undertaken.

For this project, I intend to take photographs of flowers. I want to include both colour and black and white photos as well as close up, detailed images of parts of the flower. I wish my images to convey a sense of texture and be highly detailed.

Reasons for Selection of Theme.

I decided on this theme as I have always enjoyed close up, macro photography and the ability to see detail that you might not otherwise be able to view without the use of a camera.
I have also been inspired by the work of photographers Robert Mapplethorpe, Imogen Cunningham, Ron Van Dongen, Heather Angel and James Thornbrook who's floral images I find to be both beautiful and interesting.

Equipment That I Will Be Using.

I will use my Nikon D5300 DSLR camera with a Sigma 105mm F2.8 DG Macro lens. I will be using a tripod to prevent camera shake. I will also use two desk lamps to provide light where I need it and also a variety of coloured cards to create contrasting backgrounds to the flowers.

Techniques I will be Using.

Tripod.

I will be using a tripod to prevent camera shake, this also means I can use a longer shutter speed without risking blurring the exposure. I can also use a timed shutter release so I don't have to touch the camera. Again, this will help prevent camera shake.

Macro.

I will be using this technique as I want to capture close up images of the flowers in high detail.

Reflector.

I will use a reflector  to direct the light to where I want it to be. I have read this article to research lighting techniques for flowers.

How light quality can be used to help convey the visual message

I intent to utilise both natural light and a desk lamp to produce images that, while of the same subject, can vary in colour and tone. These different lighting techniques will give the photographs a different feel. For instance, a photograph of a subject shot in the dark with only one source of light will have deeper areas of light and shadow than the same subject taken with just natural light. I hope that this will produce some interesting effects especially if I choose to make the image black and white.

Safety considerations

While shooting the photographs I will be using a tripod, I must be careful that it isn't put in a place where other people may trip over it.
 I will also be using a desk lamp with a long electric cable, again I must warn others that this is there. I also have the option of taping the wire down to reduce the chance that it will be tripped over.
The flowers that I am using will be kept in a vase of water between shots, I must make sure that this is kept away from my camera and also the desk lamp.
Cut flowers also can host a variety of bacteria including Pseudomonas, to prevent sickness, I must wash my hands after handling the flowers.

No comments:

Post a Comment